Create a video message in support of Health School Meals for All.
Lawmakers need to extend the school meals for all program which began at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. For three years, students and families came to rely on this program, but the federal government halted this program in June. This school year, families across the District need to find ways to afford the rising cost of food so their children can have lunch. Fortunately, Mayor Bowser extended school breakfast programs, but we need to make breakfast and lunch provided to our children permanently and at no cost to families.
You can help. Record a brief video letting lawmakers know how much school meals for all have helped you, your family, friends, and/or community.
Here are some quick facts:
- School meals help build equity and avoid stigma for children who don’t have the funds to buy lunch.
- School meals support families by removing morning tasks and helps ensure children will eat healthily.
- School meals improve attendance and academic performance.
- School meals reduce administrative burden on schools, allowing them to focus on the education and wellness of children.
- Children are more likely to try new foods.
Reminders for making your video:
Write down what you are going to say.
Look at the camera.
Avoid shooting where there’s a really bright background – like a window – behind you.
Smile, count to 3 and hit record.